Monday, February 23, 2015

TakeAwaySix

 

I have nothing to say today. That’s not entirely true but it’s sort of true. I have things to say but I’m not sure how to say it.  

Disappointments

I was a little disappointed with the response my project received. I was so proud of the thought process, the design, and the final product. No I didn’t reuse anything but I did rationalize the end result so it made sense. I guess I was expecting at least one person to think it was good and it didn’t seem as though anyone did. It was a little bit of a letdown. I am still proud of it, but my excitement about it has decreased a little.

Admiration

I really admired the comment about reusing a dream. It was an intriguing idea. How many times do we put our dreams on the back burner or abandon them all together because we deem them unrealistic or outlandish? Why couldn’t we take our childhood dreams and recycle them to design our future?

Anxieties

All people have anxiety but creative individuals seem to have a unique brand of fears. Even though we are in a safe environment, we all still carry our default fears. It’s only when we reject our fears that we can move forward in the pursuit of excellent design. We hold ourselves back because we are afraid of judgment. We are afraid of being seen as inferior. We are afraid of putting our hearts and souls into a project only to be rejected as not good enough.

 We forget that it is not ourselves that are being rejected. And in fact, it’s not really a rejection at all. Just because someone does not like our work doesn’t mean we are lacking, it means someone else has a different perspective that doesn’t match our own. This is something I have to keep in mind within my own career.

Reflection

I have a huge fear barrier. I fear physical and emotional pain. I fear being rejected because of who I am. I am afraid of conforming too much and becoming a corporate drone. I fear losing who I am because I’m afraid of being who I am. I’m afraid of losing my voice.


Because of the vastness of my fear, I appreciate the comment that our fear is a hammer. It can be a tool that we can use to build our dreams. It can be a weapon that can tear down our fear. It is our choice on how we use the hammer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment