Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Reuse Paradox



The Challenge

How can we be creative with the word “re-use”? That is the challenge should we accept it.

The Prep

I’m a researching  fool. I like to analyze the problem before I plan my attack. So I googled “re-use.” Yes, I google. So I got the definition of reuse.


Well, that was boring…*yawn*
So I googled “reuse thesaurus”


I could do something with this but again, boring.
I then thought, how about an anagram!

 I googled anagram reuse...at least that was my intent but I hit enter after typing anagram and was asked by Google if I meant nag a ram, which made me giggle. I refined my search by adding reuse to the search as I had intended. It comes as a surprise to me that the only five letter word utilizing the letters r e u s e is reuse. I thought this was ironic. I immediately doubted my use of the word irony, and googled that, too.


Now I’m wondering if I could do something creative with irony…oh look at the synonyms! Paradoxical, that’s a cool word. Shall I google that?



Now the question is how can I be creative with paradoxical? 

The Execution

I love the idea of working with paradoxical, so off I went. I did google paradox images and found some decent inspirations and began to sketch. This is what I came up with. 


Not wanting to just have a sketch, I decided to make a mobile of sorts. So I trekked out to Michael's to purchase some clay to mold a mobile. I wouldn't call myself a sculptor, in fact, I have only sculpted a few things and very poorly. So this was an adventure. I took my sketch and began to mold a lump of clay.



It took me a long time to get this somewhat right. I know what I have in my head but I have no idea how to make it a physical reality. But the pieces I made kind of look the way I want.


The next step is to bake it to harden the clay. I made the mistake of using wax paper, which scorched the backside but I don't have time to redo it.

The Result

The final product is almost what I wanted it to be.




 I'm really proud of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment