Saturday, February 7, 2015

50 Ways to Alter a Book

There are only so many ways one can destroy a book: tear, burn, blow-up, etc. But there are a million ways we can alter a book to create something new. Here is my list of fifty possibilities to alter the book that I chose to describe something negative about me.

(my book is An Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance because I'm financially stupid. I know what I should do to get out of debt but I constantly sabotage myself)

What if I…

 1.       White wash all the pages to create a clean book to write my own story?
 2.       Cut out the center of the book and add my own stuff?
 3.       Burn the edges of the pages to illustrate how I burn through money?
 4.       Shred the pages to help fertilize a tree I would grow from a seed?
 5.       Take a sharpie to each page and write my own advice?
 6.       Use the pages to decoupage a canvas for a textured painting about me?
 7.       Shellac the book shut and paint a new cover?
 8.       Take a video of me rolling in the ripped out pages like I was rolling in money? (not naked because…no)
 9.       Write my aspirations with sharpie on each page?
 10.   Put the book on a shelf to get dusty, then shellac the dust permanently on the book?
 11.   Shred the pages, mix it with cement and make a statue for my garden?
 12.   Burn it and spread its ashes in all my favorite places?
 13.   Create a paste with the pages and make a painting?
 14.   Use the pages to create a plaster to create an “idea tree” where the extra pages would be used to write the idea behind all the class assignments?
 15.   Wad the pages up to create a nest of ideas? 
 16.   Roll the pages up to make stems for flowers with the petals being the ideas behind the class assignments?
 17.   Roll up the pages to create a paper forest? Because sometimes we can’t see the forest for the trees…
 18.   Shellac the book shut because money isn’t everything?
 19.   Decorate the book with all the religious symbols because money is the root of all evil?
 20.   Make a battery powered outlet with the outlet being visible from the front cover because money is power?
 21.   Use the paper from the book as a fuse for fireworks?
 22.   Make a clay out of the pages to model a car because money drives the world?
 23.   Find a company that could take the ashes of the book to create a diamond?
 24.   Make a resin pendant with the ideas from the semester suspended in the resin?
 25.   Make a rut in the center of the book to remind myself to stay out of it?
 26.   Shape the book into a cog or gear with one tooth missing to remind me to not be a cot in the wheel?
 27.   Make a keep-sake box out of the book?
 28.   Design a new cover for the book to say why money isn’t important?
 29.   Make the book into a canvas then paint about the semester?
 30.   Saw the book in two as if to slash prices?
 31.   Create a paint with the ashes to paint on a shirt?
 32.   Make a confetti with the pages to spray paint and toss around myself in celebration?
 33.   Make a confetti with the pages, fill balloon with the confetti, and pop the balloon?
 34.   Make an ink from the ashes and write my own rules to banking?
 35.   Create a mobile for my soon to be niece/nephew?
 36.   Create a Mobius strip with the pages of the book, and the assignments described on the pages?
 37.   Make a chain out of the pages and shellac them to make the chain strong?
 38.   Make a walking stick out of the pages to aid me on my journey?
 39.   Make a paper machete airplane to soar about my challenges?
 40.   Give the book to someone who is excellent in finance to find the holes in the instructions the book gives?
 41.   Put the book in a safe deposit box in a bank with all my print outs from my blog?
 42.   Make origami cranes for prosperity from the pages of my book?
 43.   Take the book to a lake, weigh it down, and make it “swim with the fishes?”
 44.   Tear out all the pages, lay the pages out in a brick path, and spray paint them gold to represent the road to OZ?
 45.   Give the book a mud bath then use a shellac to make the mud permanent?
 46.   Use the pages as rolling papers, the burn them to symbolize money going up in smoke?
 47.   Take the ashes and release them in the river in Gatlinburg, TN? (my home away from home)
 48.   Confront my fears of failure and ridicule by carrying the book with me everywhere?
 49.   Make a large hallow ball with the pages, shellac it, cut out images to represent the semester, and then illuminate it from the inside?
 50.   ….

This one is blank because I will fill it with all the future ideas I will have…

No comments:

Post a Comment