Monday, February 2, 2015

Oh... To Doodle All Day

Oh to doodle all day! 

I have never been one to doodle "just because".  I am one of those who doodled in class as my mind would wonder. So to be told to doodle for a half an hour was difficult for me. A doodle for me is an aimless, mindless movement of the pen on paper. I have never used doodles to help myself learn. I'm very impressed that people are able to do this. I have made the sketch of what I see on the board or in a book to impress it on my brain, but not as a way to impress words or sounds.  So we'll see how this goes....

Giving the Time of Day

So I have been sick for the past week and most of the time I have been out cold in bed or asleep on my couch (with my loving dogs using me for a pillow, I love my dogs). So I finally decided to do my doodles one evening. It was late as that's what happens when you sleep the day away. I watched the Ted X talk, and was intrigued. So I got my sketch pad out.

Giving the Old College Try




I set my alarm on my phone for 30 minutes. I can do this, it's only 30 minutes. I grabbed a pen ( I used a green gel pen because what else would you use.) And off we go... I had a hard time starting. What do you doodle for Synchronicity, spontaneity, serendipity, and surrender? I have no idea. So I started with four S's. I was trying to figure out what to do from there and as I was thinking I started making curved lines around my "SSSS". The curved lines started to take the form of a heart....So I shot it with an arrow.  You might think I was thinking about this stupid upcoming holiday called Valentines Day, but you would be wrong.  I was watching the Hunger Games. Then the arrows took over. I then drew a tree in the bottom right hand corner. I randomly thought about swinging and so my tree suddenly grew a horizontal branch that was perfect for a swing.

As I said earlier, I have been sick. I started coughing so hard my chest hurt... hence the spew of germs being emitted from the wide open mouth.  I wish I could explain the rest but I have slept since then and forgot. I should have written this immediately but... I don't know if I've said it or not but I was sick and 30 minutes of sketching seemed to have taxed my endurance. 

What Did We Learn?

So what could be the purpose of this exercises? I discovered that I was able to let my mind wonder while I was doodling. There were creatures on my page when I was finished that I could take to create something interesting. I was able to clear my mind of the assignment after a few minutes. I was amazed when the alarm went off. I didn't think I had been doodling that long. I also learned that I am very influenced by my surroundings. That means I need to explore more of the world so I can draw from the scenery that is different from my normal.  I learned that I draw myself as if I have horrendous halitosis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment