Monday, February 16, 2015

Calgon Take Me Away 5

What to say about today...Today was aggravating. I was first irritated by the coloring book exercise. I didn't get anything out of this exercise that I didn't already know, plus I ruined a page in my book that I then had to put away immediately because I felt compelled to fix it the entire class. I already know I have control issues but there are times when that control has served me well. Structure is not a bad word. Control is not a bad word. The second thing that irritated me will remain unmentioned. In the spirit of do no harm, I will bite my tongue and take deep breaths. This class just didn't do it for me.  

As for what I learned today....
....
......
..........
...............
I liked the comment about trying to describe how you hear circles. That was like trying to describe how blue smells. If you know the context of the comment you know immediately how circles sound. But taken out of context, it sounds like an existential quandary.  

I was also intrigued about the name compost method. I do the same thing, I just never gave it a name. I like to have the time to mull it over, I like thinking until an idea grabs hold of my brain and burrows down deep. I think it makes it both a breeze since I know what I want, but a challenge because I have a specific image in my head and I have to work hard to make it a reality. 

On a side note, I have been obsessing about my altered book project. I spent all of Friday watching YouTube videos to learn the finer aspects of metal forging, soldering, and creating resin beads. I have learned how to recycle certain types of plastics by melting them down to make a super light weight solid plastic piece. I spent the ENTIRE DAY watching videos. I had so much homework to do but I watched videos instead. I almost signed up for a metal jewelry class at the Indianapolis Art Center. It would have been ironic seeing as the class would cost me over $300 and my book is about personal finance. I can just see myself spending money to learn how to make one thing for class. But I have discovered a new subject for my insatiable thirst for knowledge. I have been obsessed with learning stained glass windows. I want to learn how to sculpt, and paint, and do photography and now metal jewelry making... all of which keep getting put on the back burner as I try to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment