Wednesday, March 4, 2015

I've Got This Covered


Oh So Many Ideas... to narrow down to my top three.

My thought for my book was to create a Mobius strip pendant out of silver with a resin with the ashes mixed in to create a ball that “rolls” on the surface.  Because I am making a piece of jewelry, I’m thinking I should redesign the cover to create a type of jewelry box or pouch. So here are my two ideas for my “cover”.



1

 Make a jewelry box. Each side of the box would have images from the semester. One side would be the egg, one would be the reuse project, one would be a doodle, etc. I could either make a doodle of the projects or I could make an illustration of the projects. I don’t think I’d use photographs just because I’m not a great photographer. I’m a little particular and it would drive me nuts to have images on my box that are not what I would deem high quality.



2 

 I could doodle the projects on the back side of my book cover where it is plain stock. I would then cut this doodle into strip that would be weaved. I would then take the weaving, line it with a satin to make a jewelry pouch.





3  

 My final idea is to take an image of the doodle to create a screen print that I would put on the back then stitch it together to make the pouch. I could also take the words on the cover and from the semester and make a word map that would be screen printed. I’m not sure which would be easiest.






I’m really excited by all of these ideas and each presents its own challenges. I have made a lot of boxes for classes at Ivy Tech when we were learning about package design and I really enjoyed the challenge. I have an astounding appreciation for stitched paper and think that would be a fun option. And I have recently started using a screen print kit that I bought years ago and am constantly thinking of new ways I can use it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment