Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Calgon Take Me Away

Please!

I have decided that I need a vacation.

I was going to write about the class for my class takeaway...but then my dad ended up in ICU last night and was put on life support. This has made me forget almost everything about class. All I can think about right now is that I have so many blessings in my life, and the biggest one is my amazing parents. I guess this kind of lays in parallel to one thing we talked about yesterday. It also mimics the fear assignment because I almost lost my dad today.

The ICU doctor told us he had two organ failures and possible third. He said that when a patient has two failures the survival rate was 50%. When you add a third, it drops down to a 25% survival rate. He was not encouraging. But my dad is not one to take things lying down. He has rebounded faster than the nurse has ever seen in 20 years of nursing.

My parents are my heroes. Mom has been battling cancer for ten years and has been a pillar of strength. My dad has had a series of hardships, including a car accident that broke his back and should have paralyzed him as well as this most recent scare. And yet they chose to look on the bright side and live each day to the fullest. They don't make excuses for why they can't do something. They just do it and move on. I'm lucky to have such amazing parents, such amazing roll models, such amazing heroes.

I'm sorry this wasn't a reflection about class. Instead it's a reflection on my amazing parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment