Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Take the Fear (and Apathy) Away

First off,


 I was very disappointed in this class. I was disappointed in the fact that this was just a regular class. All semester we have been talking about how the fear assignment was going to span multiple days, but instead it was rushed to get through as many people as possible. We were told those who wanted to go first would go first, those who wanted to go last would go last. Instead, we went around the circle like a normal class and it felt like just another assignment.

Secondly, 

it felt like a lot of the class treated this as just another assignment. There were a lot of “presentations” where there was not a tangible item or true presentation. It was just talking.

That being said,

 I did enjoy the presentations that had thought and work to it.

I found Alexander’s mask presentation interesting in that I would have found it easier being in a mask. My favorite job was working in a planetarium. I was in the dark and no one saw me, they just heard my voice. I have never had an easy time talking in front of people, but I LOVED leading planetarium shows especially with a full audience. But no one could see me so it was ok.

Daniel’s presentation about letting other people’s fears affect us was pretty interesting. I think we (and by we I mostly mean me…) don’t look past the action to find the cause of the action. But like Jacob said, bullying is a major action that is driven by fear. Instead of addressing the fear we address the action. Now there are people who are just mean.

I really enjoyed Jessica’s presentation and the idea behind her photoshoot. I, too, have been called a control freak (though I don’t think she used that phrase) and have a hard time relinquishing control. It’s hard when you know what you want and how you would do it, then watch others proceed differently with results that are not what you want. I especially liked that she did not see the result until class time. That was inspired.

Eric’s song was great. I was thinking about singing before my family implosion. I love to sing but I recently heard a recording of my voice and I realized I sound horrendous. I was going to address my fear of judgement by doing what I love yet know I suck at.

Ashley’s drawing was fantastic. It was fantastic because I feel the same way… I know I’m not a great drawer and I’m going to be disappointed in my effort, and won’t meet my personal high expectations. I need to take a page from Ashley and just do it.

I felt so bad for Brooke and her fear of her migraines. I only get migraines once every other month (usually) and I know my triggers. I know wine and the smell of artificial cinnamon will lead to excruciating pain. But to be limited in what I can do because it might trigger pain would be awful. I hope she finds relief soon :(

I was also disappointed in my project. I love the idea behind it. I just am sad that it turned out so big. I will be redoing it this summer and revising it so I can make a bracelet that I can actually wear. The one I made was so big it falls off my arm. I might be a big girl but I have delicate wrists.

I’m tired now and I’m calling this post quits.

Stay excellent my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment